How to Keep Your Arlington, TX Lawn Disease Free Year-Round
October 15, 2021
Different people are passionate about different things. Some people devote their entire lives to crafts like blacksmithing, leatherworking, and other eclectic trades. Others prefer more modern hobbies like mechanic work or lawn care. If you have been recently thinking about taking on your lawn and landscaping to keep things as nice as possible, here are some things you should know, including what lawn diseases might try to hold you back.
Lawn Diseases In Arlington
Most people have never heard about lawn disease; they know when their grass isn’t looking right. The only problem with this is that knowing something is wrong doesn’t always come with an immediate answer. To help you identify what lawn diseases are affecting your yard, here are some common ones you should know.
- Large patch: A discolored patch of grass, usually in a circle.
- Algal scum: An algae-like muck that covers lawns, usually caused by excessive rain.
- Anthracnose: Caused by a fungal disease that leaves dark lesions on leaves and cankers on twigs and stems.
- Brown patch: A dark ring that happens on cool-season grasses that form during periods of hot, humid weather.
- Dollar spot: A fungus that spreads during times of humidity in temperatures between 70 and 85 degrees. It looks like bleach has been sprinkled across the grass.
- Fairy rings: A large ring of discolored turf that can be caused by one of 60 different species of fungi.
- Downy mildew: White or yellow linear streaks on blades of grass caused by a disfiguring disease.
- Bipolaris: A darkening and decay of grass blades, usually in the form of spots caused by disease-causing organisms and insect pests.
The Challenge In Preventing Lawn Disease
Out of all aspects of lawn care, treating lawn disease is by far the most difficult. Because of the wide variety in our area, identifying problems and finding effective solutions are usually difficult. Keeping this in mind, not all diseases are built equal. Some are minor and can be combatted with everyday household items. To help you take care of your Arlington, TX lawn properly, here are some DIY tips to consider.
DIY To Combat Lawn Disease
If you have some time on your hands and do not mind putting in some effort around your yard, you might be able to tackle your property’s lawn disease problems. To start, use these helpful lawn care tips.
- Water your lawn once a day during the early hours when blades are wet from dew. You do not have to water if it is raining or just rained heavily.
- Mow your yard regularly, but be careful not to cut the grass too short. Every species of grass prefers a different height. Find out what your lawn consists of to calibrate your lawnmower blades.
- Reduce clutter and remove debris from your property. This includes picking up sticks, raking leaves, and cleaning up items like toys.
- Ensure your home’s gutter system is working properly, and that water has a clear drain path when it falls on your property. If flooding regularly occurs in your yard, this should be a sign that it has improper drainage.
A Much Easier Solution To Lawn Disease
Maintaining a happy and healthy lawn takes serious dedication. If you are up for the task and are ready to do your research, we wish you the best of luck. To make your job easier, consider hiring the experts at Trees Hurt Too Inc. Our team of lawn care specialists understands lawn disease and has the experience and tools needed to take care of your grass and landscaping. Contact us today to learn more and schedule your Arlington yard for a visit.